We are asked all the time “what should I dress my family in for our session“? I am always happy when my clients ask me this question. Because, what you wear is very important to making the photos even better. You don’t want the dad in an orange shirt and mom is wearing a polka dot dress while their daughter is wearing a flower print pants. As you can imagine it’s too much going on, and you don’t know where to look at in the photo. But don’t be scared because dressing for your photo shoot is pretty easy. When it comes to deciding what to wear, the goal is to make the “people” stand out in the portrait, not the “clothing.” I have listed and even have photos to show for dressing for your portrait session.
- Accessories give dimension to your photos! Bring scarfs, hats, jewlery etc. This also helps bring out your personality and style. (but PLEASE don’t wear it all at once)
- Textures & Layers always look great! Put a sweater or jacket over a dress. Layers are awesome! Don’t be afraid to experiment.
- Large Groups try to pick 2-3 colors that work for everyone. This makes life easy for everyone, that way your not making the choice. Also try to make sure everyone is in the same style, you don’t want one person is a suit while everyone else is in casual wear, it just looks funny.
- Avoid Matchy-Matchy Everyone loves wearing white shirts and blue jeans. But it doesn’t always look great. The problem that we find is that everyone starts to blend into each other. But if you really want to go really simple then bring in some accessories. This will give your photos color and substance. Another way to avoid blending in is wearing different shades of the same color. Pair whites & creams, light browns & dark browns together etc.
A Few Hints: What to wear to your Portrait Session!!
- If you are worried about showing off your arms, then consider wearing dresses or tops that cover your arms partially or fully.
- Makeup please don’t go crazy with your makeup. Avoid glitter on the face and chest.
- Cheeks use a light shade of pink
- Lips any shades of pinks or browns. On the lips it’s ok to wear a gloss. And remember to bring along to refresh
- Please IRON your wardrobe!! The camera captures every imperfection. So unless you love wrinkles, iron them out.
What to wear to your Portrait Session!!